The accused father-in-law Mohammed is already in judicial custody.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi's proposed visit to Maldives on March 15 is under shadow because of troubled situation in the island nation after the arrest of former President Mohamed Nasheed earlier this week.
Defendants were permitted to use the name, figure, picture of Kalam in individual capacity as candidate and not in the name of the political party.
The Guardian reported Mohammed Junaid Babar, described as an 'American jihadist', has been quietly released after serving only four and a half years of a possible 70-year sentence.Babar was reportedly sentenced to "time served", because a New York judge described as "exceptional co-operation" that began even before his arrest.
"Keeping in view the totality of the facts and circumstances of the case, I am of the opinion that the ends of justice would be met in sentencing the convict to undergo rigorous imprisonment for a period of seven years," Additional Sessions Judge Gurdeep Singh said, while sentencing Khajuri Khas resident Mohammed Adil
The fast-rising Ankush Dahiya (60kg) clinched a gold while the experienced L Devendro Singh (52kg) settled for a silver medal on the final day of the Ulaanbaatar Cup boxing tournament in Mongolia.
"These foot soldiers of forces inimical to India and bent upon sabotaging the peace and tranquillity here, besides posing a serious threat to its unity, sovereignty and integrity, have to be neutralised," the court noted in its 7-page order
The five accused are booked under POTA for triggering a bomb blast at suburban Ghatkopar in Mumbai on December 2, 2002.
The nation is happy that the most dreaded terrorist caught alive in India was finally sent to the gallows.
The police also arrested Hasib Zuber Mulla, in jail for the Mulun blast, for his involvement in the Ghatkopar bomb blast.
"We are constantly harassed, taunted and beaten up. Even if we complain to the higher authorities, they do not take any action in the matter," Mobin Kader Seikh said. Seikh, along with Asif Bashir Seikh and Mohammed Sakeel made the charges before Additional Sessions Judge Santosh Snehi Mann during the proceedings in the serial blast cases conducted through video-conferencing from the Sabarmati jail in Ahmedabad.
Yakub Memon, who was hanged on Thursday for his role in the 1993 Mumbai serial bomb blasts, had reacted with an angry outburst saying "innocent people are being called terrorists" when a TADA court in Mumbai had pronounced him guilty on September 12, 2006.
Mohammed Yasin Patel and Mohammed Afsal Jaffrey were sentenced for being members of the banned organisation and for sedition.
A Karachi-based businessman who sold the boat engine used by 10 LeT terrorists to reach Mumbai to carry out the audacious 2008 attacks, was cross-examined in a Pakistani anti-terrorism court in Islamabad on Wednesday.
At a time when the US is finding it extremely difficult to deal with the 9/11 mastermind, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, within its judicial system, the way India has dealt with Kasab is reflective of the maturity of Indian democracy and its judicial system, notes Harsh V Pant.
Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving Pakistani terrorist arrested during the 26/11 terror attack, betrayed no emotions as a special court on Monday pronounced him guilty on many terror-related charges, including waging war against the nation. Clad in his usual white kurta-pyjama, Kasab stood with his head bowed as Judge M L Tahilyani declared him guilty of the murder of 166 persons during the brazen terror stirke.
Ganai and Hajjam were arrested on December 10, 2006, following a tip-off by a team of Delhi police special cell officials led by Inspector M C Sharma, who was killed in the Batla House encounter in Delhi last year. The police, which claimed to have recovered 1.5 kg explosives and Rs 6 lakh hawala money from their possession, however, could not prove the charges in court
Four persons, accused of planning and executing the bomb blast in a BEST bus on December 2, have been remanded to police custody till January 17.
Tribal leader Chhatradhar Mahato has refused to give a sample of his handwriting to a local court in Midnapore.
Today, hour-long, high-pitched 'debates' at prime time, replete with inflammatory visuals and captions, using half-truths, insinuations and lies, pour venom against Muslims and seek to divide Hindus and Muslims, notes Jyoti Punwani.
All 12 convicts found guilty in the case relating to the July 11, 2006 serial train blasts, which claimed 188 lives in local trains in Mumbai, have pleaded leniency in the court on the point of sentence citing humanitarian grounds.
Medical tests have revealed that Ajmal Amir Kasab, prime accused in the Mumbai terror attack case, is above 20 years of age and not a juvenile as claimed by him.
Prime accused and the lone surviving terrorist of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, departed from his earlier stand on Monday, saying he could not understand the proceedings of the court conducted in English.
Delhi Police Special Prosecutor D P Agarwal has sought death sentence for S A R Geelani, Mohammed Afzal and Shaukat Hussain.
Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested in the November 26 terror attacks, said on Monday that he needed a lawyer and was agreeable to a court-appointed government defence lawyer representing him.
Pakistani gunman and prime accused in the 26/11 terror attack case, Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, is not keeping well since the last few days and was on Wednesday sent back to his cell by the court in the midst of the proceedings
A 20-year-old British Muslim was on Wednesday sentenced to six years in jail for making determined efforts to join the Islamic State in Syria.
'Give him a chance to live,' Peter's lawyer told the court.
'I certainly rate Shami among the world's top three fast bowlers for sure'
India stormed back into the second and final Test on the back of some fine seam bowling on Sunday, tearing through New Zealand's top order to leave the hosts rocking on 142 for five at lunch on day two at Hagley Oval. Images from Day 2 of the second Test between New Zealand and India in Christchurch on Sunday.
Over 100 activists staged a protest and pelted stones at the residence of Anjali Waghmare, appointed by a special court to represent Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested during the terror attack on Mumbai in November last year, on Monday night. Following the attack, Waghmare has reportedly withdrawn from the case, but no official confirmation about her withdrawal was available.
A special court in Mumbai is expected to take a decision on Monday on a prosecution plea for postponement of the trial of three accused in the Mumbai attacks, including Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, to April 13.
About three weeks after his surprise confession, Pakistani terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the prime accused in the 26/11 terror attacks, today told the court that he wanted to plead guilty to all the charges framed against him.
Jail authorities on Thursday complained to a special court that prime accused in 26/11 terror attack case Mohammed Ajmal Kasab has refused to eat food and thrown away utensils in his cell, saying that he wants to have 'Mutton Biriyani'.
The full bench of the Australian Federal Court on Thursday will hear a government appeal against a judge's decision to reinstate the visa of Indian doctor Mohamed Haneef, who was cleared of terrorism charges after being arrested in connection with the foiled United Kingdom bombings. Prosecution lawyers lodged the appeal in September after Federal Court Justice Jeffery Spender quashed Immigration Minister Kevin Andrews' decision to cancel Haneef's visa.
Rashtriya Janata Dal MP Mohammad Shahabuddin has got 10-year imprisonment in a case under the Arms Act.